Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Pick Your Punctuation

I know I'm stepping on some toes here, but I have to be honest...nothing irks me more than when parents decide-- in a misguided effort to make their child's name look more unique or exotic than it actually is --to sprinkle accent marks, periods, dashes, apostrophes at various intervals and usually in conjunction with letters that normally do not go together to form any natural sound in the English language.

Why? (rolling eyes!)

First of all nothing confuses computers (and people for that matter) more than random punctuation marks. Second--is it really THAT hard to fill in the missing letter? Really? How much longer does it take to write the letter I than an apostrophe?

But then again, who am I to tell you that 14 letters, 3 apostrophes, 2 accent marks and a partridge in a pear tree is too much...

Here's today's list of hyphen offenders:

Midestin’e
Mi’Angyell Bre’Shay
Ja`veunce`
Chy’Nesha

Arerie’yel
E-bone (Ebony)
Roy'al
D-Niaya (it's not just a river in Egypt)
Lez'Aliyha
La'Pleasure

And the winner of the golden quote mark award for most random misspelling using punctuation marks:

Tray'c'

No comments: